Monday, November 24, 2008

Paci 911~


I'm glad my child isn't the only one!

Okay, we have had some major changes in the Smorstad household with regards to the paci. First some history.... we love the paci.

Here is where is started!

Ivy has had one since the first day of life. It has kept her happy, it fulfilled her sucking need, and now provides her with comfort in any situation. If I could go back in time, I would not change this in the least. Actually, I am sad for moms who don't have the go-to soothing of a paci because I don't know what I would do. (Dependent-you say- yea a little!) However, Ivy is now almost 16 months and learning new words every day. I do not want it to hinder her speech or cause permanent damage to the shape of her mouth. So here is when the crazy mommy steps in with an intervention. Is it just me or is that what being a mommy is- constantly stepping in with a change for your little one- to better them and their sleep habits, eating habits, fussy time, talking, walking, moving.... etc.

At about 6 months I declared Ivy a true paci addict :)

So last Saturday (making today the 10th day), Greg and I declared pacis were for sleepy time only. She did great on day one. No asking for the paci- it helps that she doesn't know the word yet! And we did let her take it to the nursery (for comfort purposes). So yes, we have been about 10 days paci free except in the bed. Friends, this has been a test for mommy and daddy! Last night as I was trying to make dinner Ivy was clinging to my legs and whining, her new vice. It seems that the biggest thing that we have noticed (being paci free) is from about 5:00-8:00 (bedtime) Ivy wants to be held and if she isn't then she whines- a droning, endless whine. I can't quite tote a 21 lb child for 3 hours unless I want to be rewarded the buffest arms award- or better yet, the broken back award. So therefore last night was the night that Daddy folded and declared we needed the paci. Ivy ran to the stairs awaiting the delivery of her beloved paci. She was whine free and paci sucking for the next few hours.... and ahhh... it was a peaceful evening for Greg and I. So my question- what do we do?


Are we mis-using this precious jewel to prevent the whining?

Is the paci Ivy's security blanket during the fussy time?

Will we have to go through this no matter what age we kick the paci to the curb?

Is 16 months to old to have a paci?

Should we limit not ban the paci during awake hours?


The joys of being a parent. We have to make decisions that best serve our lovely little ones. It can be hard, and I know I am the toughest judge on myself. I know lots of you have been here or are here right now. I would love to know your thoughts!

12 comments:

  1. Ditto, ditto, ditto...to all of the above.

    I have mucho input on this...but not enough time right now for it. Tune in later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here are some of my thoughts as a new parent-
    1. As a working mommy you do what you can do surive sometimes (not harming the child of course) but if it serves as some comfort I say do it. There are so many opinions and i always want to do the "right" thing, but I have so learned that they are all so different and what works for some might not work for another. I have followed some rules and broken some, but in the end usually do what makes us all the happiest.
    2. It bothers me when the kid is like 4 with a paci not 1 1/2. :)
    3. I do feel like I am constantly trying to change things for Brayden as well.
    4. Sorry lengthy response

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep the paci...Ivy uses it for comfort just like I use food!! =) Now if I come to your house when she's 4 and she still has the paci, you might have a problem. But definitley keep the peace and the paci!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny you should post about this because I have been agonizing over this very thing! Kaylan will be one in December and I can't decide if it would be best to just get rid of them now or wait it out... decisions, decisions! Let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have to do what ultimately feels right for you and Ivy. From what I've heard, the longer you use a paci, the harder it is to break. I'm not sure, we quit giving Bailey her's at 2 months, since she didn't really care about it one way or another. It seems like you are on the right track by trying to associate it with bed time. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is how I feel about it...Ava still takes her paci..she is 22 months. I am not taking it away from her anytime soon. She talks like crazy and says everything so I know it is not hurting her ability to talk. It is a comfort for her and I feel like sometimes we are in such a rush to take away comfort items or make them grow up. She is still a baby. I mean how many comfort items to we as adults have? LOTS! That's just my opinion:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember those days-in fact today Natalie found a paci of hers-and popped it right in and had the biggest grin on her face! Thankfully I just told her she was silly and we laughed and I was able to get it away. Anyways, I can't remember when I started limiting her pacifier to bedtime, "emergency" uses, etc. but to me it seems like you are doing the right thing. I would try and limit to bedtime but don't beat yourself up over giving it to her on occasion-just think Santa is coming and maybe she will be distracted by new things during dinner time! I remember my pediatrician told me at her 18 month check up to get rid of it for her teeth's sake but I let her keep it for bedtime and our trip to Hawaii and didn't get rid of it completely until July when we went cold turkey-it was a rough few days but much easier than I imagined it would have been!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is all about you being in charge...but also being flexible.
    Naomi will be 3 in Feb and just about 2 months ago gave up her sleep time paci. At first I used to think I am never going to let my kid have a paci after a year, and then a year came and I realized it is not really that big of a deal. I mean, I knew she wasn't going to walk down the aisle with it or anything. And she gave it up cold turkey. One night we didn't give it to her and she hasn't asked for it since.

    With Gabby we have been only giving it to her for sleep time and other major emergencies (like 4 teeth coming in at once) I do think it is important early to teach them limits to things...even paci's but I don't think that means that tomorrow Ivy has to go down to paci only at bedtime. Take baby steps...like you said it is her major source of comfort. Try not giving it to her at all during the day (except naps) and then she can have it at 6pm...in a few weeks make it 7..and then in another few weeks make it 8. But with all that said I do think it is important to learn to still be flexible...it is like a baby that won't sleep at night very well...the "right" thing to do might be to let them cry it out...but what good is that really when you are awake listening to them cry...

    One last thing. We have a special place that the paci goes in when Gabs gets up in the morning or from naps. She knows that is wears it goes and stays unless she is sleeping. She think it is super fun to put her paci in her special place and always knows right where it is when bedtime comes...

    Sorry this was so long....believe me we have this issue double time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at this!! I have the most wonderful blogger friends in the universe. Thank you so much for the encouragement and excellent advice :) I really appreciate it. It is all being put to good use at the Smorstad house!

    ReplyDelete
  10. kiiiinda bothered that you moved your pic/info on the right side and the writing on the left side. such changes get under my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. talk to gerri about the paci and it may help you with your decisions...with kaiden once he started wanting the paci during the day (throwing a fit cuz it went in the dishwasher) we decided nap and bedtime only...then 18 month cold turkey cut it out...took about 10 minutes to fall asleep on his own but and it took only 3 days of crying for 10 minutes...it worked..those are my tips..but talk to gerri when you go back to school!!! it helped me! amber

    ReplyDelete
  12. My philosophy about parenting in general is that it is your child and you ultimately know what is best. You should do what you think is best for Ivy. I am all about keeping Ella a "baby" as long as she possibly can be. She still has her paci and she takes a bottle when she wants it. I know these days will be over before long and as long as she's not being held back.... I say keep it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your encouragement as I travel through this season of life called mommyhood!