Friday, October 11, 2013

the sounds

 Over the past couple of weeks I have realized that my house has a sound to it.  These are the sounds of a house full of little ones and I don't want to forget them.  Even when there are moments, even hours or days, that I crave silence I want to remember the sounds of my house at this time in this season of my life.  

Now that Tula is growing up she has become Ivy's number one playmate.  She wants to be with her big sister all the time.  I hear the sound of best friends- constant playing in a land of girly make believe.  Don't get me wrong best friends will fight too!  So I have my ears open to the times that I need to intervene when they just can't seem to agree on where their babies will sleep or who's doll where wear what.... but overall I am hanging on to the sound of sisters transforming into friends.
I hear giggling..... loud, silly giggles!  These girls laugh and laugh loud.  The later it gets the louder they get as they are trying to push that feeling of sleepiness away.  I have to say- Greg and I are bad about telling them to stop acting crazy so close to bed time but I know it's a sound I want to remember.  My house won't always be full of laughing children.
Asking for hugs, one more hug, just one more hug.... when you are trying to get out the door that is always the time that they want to be loved on.  I am enjoying that sound.  I know one day I will be begging for their cuddles and hugs and kisses and they will be too big and trying to get out the door to go meet their friends.  I don't even want to imagine the sound of their teenage voice.... "Mom, I have to go! I am not giving you another hug!"
The sound of a baby.... grunting, ooh-ing, sucking on her paci, and even the sound of that little tiny baby cry.  I don't want to forget these sounds that I have enjoyed 3 times in the past 6 years.  I want to remember what it's like to have a newborn and hang on to those memories of this stage of motherhood.
Baby talking..... Joss has just started "talking" to us.  I love when babies make noises, eye contact, and smiles to respond to everything you are saying.  Joss talks our ears off after the big girls go to sleep!  She is ready to be the queen bee and ready to have all of mommy and daddy's attention.   
The sound of the biggest sister.... so maternal... talking to the baby sister.  The role that Ivy has now is so very different than the role she had when Tula was a baby.  She is so big next to Joss and really does a good job being a little mama.  Right now Joss loves having the attention of her big sisters.  I am sure there will be a day when she thinks it's absolutely dreadful to have so many people bossing her around but for now it's all sounds of love!
Looking at Joss is really taking us back in time.... so right now you hear the sound of lots of reflecting on our moments as being a parent for the first time.  Looking at Joss evokes all that emotion that we had when Ivy was a baby because they look so much alike.  I see these two sisters and the resemblance and it is actually a little scary- God is such an artist and the way He weaves genetics so that two little people can look so much the same is quite a talent!  

I know these sounds will be so fleeting as children grow too quickly.  Right now I spend a lot of time sitting and listening while I am nursing Joss and I don't want to forget what I hear.  I don't want to forget the sounds of having three little ones filling our home.