Friday, December 7, 2012

Nutcracker Ballet 2012

 This past weekend Ivy participated in her first Nutcracker Ballet through Mindy's Jessamine School of Classical Dance.  They have been putting on the Nutcracker for the past 20 years and to these people it is a big deal..... pressure was on Mama, but the 5 year olds were calm, collected, and excited to be a part of the show!

 This was Ivy's 3rd dance recital but the first one where the older girls were a huge part of the show.  She stared in awe of the ballerinas surrounding her and has already decided she wants to be the Nutcracker princess (a.k.a. Clara) someday.  She was beyond thrilled to preform three shows and says the best part was wearing make up.  She looked so grown up to me! 
 She didn't only look like a grown up, she really did well on late nights and no naps all weekend long.  Mommy and Daddy were so proud of her after watching her and her friends preform as the water sprites! 
  I was impressed at how much more they learned this year than the last time she took dance and I knew she felt the challenge.  After the second class she said, "I can't be in this recital because our dance is too hard!"  I assured her that they would be practicing for many more months and by the time of the show she would be ready, and sure enough she was!  Nana and Pops were definitely proud of their little ballerina. 
 Ivy was so impressed that Pawpaw came to watch the show and he even brought her a second set of beautiful pink roses!  She was definitely proud to have family there watching and I am thankful that she has grandparents who live close enough to make it and love her enough to spend their weekend at the Nutcracker Ballet! 
The weekend was a long one for this little group- lots of waiting was involved, but they did a great job!  After all the hustle of Ivy's first Nutcracker performance, I thought she may want a little break from dance.  But I was wrong, she wants to do tap again come January and she is already talking about going back to dance camp!  I am thankful that she has found something that she enjoys and I am excited to remember my own dancing days through her experience!